Sometimes clients with thyroid faces a weight loss issues it might be frustrating ,goal should be to discourage any food plan that creates a fear of food, sends mixed messages about what constitutes a healthy diet or is so restrictive that it leads to disordered behavior,frustration and stress. Stress-Under stress, your body releases the hormone cortisol. Too much cortisol can interfere with thyroid hormone production. It can stimulate the thyroid to work harder to create sufficient amounts of thyroid hormone.
If you suffer from hypothyroidism, you might want to limit soy and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts), as they can reduce production of thyroid hormone.
WEIGHT REDUCTION DIET PLAN IN HYPOTHYRIOD
|1200-1300 Kcal||Calories||54 g||Protein||25-30g||Fat(5tsp/day)|
|Breakfast (8.30 AM)(OPTIONS)||Milk (fatfree) (NO sugar)
steel cut oats cooked in ½ cup fat free milk(no sugar)
veg Daliya/ Upma/ Poha/ Idli (2nos)+ Sambhar (½ cup)
whole wheat bread(with green chutney and hummus/no butter)and low fat cheese( 1oz)
|Mid-morning (11.00 AM)||Brazil nuts(small)
Whole fruit (any seasonal of your choice)
|3 in no
|Lunch (1:00 PM)||Chapati( thin)phulka(add oatbarn and besan)
pulses curry (Moong/ chana/ rajma/mixl entil dal/ chowli +Salad carrot/ cucumber/ cabbage/ tomato/ beet/ lettuce/) OR
with mix veg raita OR
Avocado(4slices) and lots of veggies(no butter)
|Snack-time (3.30 PM)||Milk/buttermilk(no sugar)
sunflower seeds roasted
|5:30 PM||fruit (any seasonal)||½ cup|
|Dinner (7.00 PM)||Chapati( thin)phulka(2)
Beans(Moong/ chana/ rajma/ chowli /mix lentil dal/tofu peas curry
+along with green sabji(bhindi/parval/palak/carrot/zucchini/eggplant/doodhi/methi/green beans) no potato in any sabji
Oats khichdi/brown rice khichdi/daliya khichdi(with lots of veggies avoid potato)
|2 nos. (About 30 g)
|Late night(9:00PM)||chia or flax seed soaked in 1 glass of water||3tsp|
1tsp- 5 gms
Fat allowance: 2 -3tsp oil + 1-2 tsp ghee/ + 1-2 exchange of Nuts( you can use 3 tsp either ghee or oil)+2 nuts ( as suggested above)
- use Iodized salt
- prefer brazil nuts they are rich in selenium- Selenium is a mineral that acts like an antioxidant. Selenium-containing enzymes protect the thyroid under stressful conditions, while selenium-contains proteins that help to regulate hormone synthesis.
- Use skim milk and milk products
- Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables (5-6 servings per day)start with 2 and increase slowly with lots of water
- Use unpolished rice as prescribed
- Consume plenty of liquids (Fluid intake: 10- 12 glasses per day)
- Avoid bakery products like biscuits, toast, khari, white bread, cakes, cookies & pastries.
- Avoid deep fried foods and sweets (especially vada pav, samosa, meduvada, dabeli)
- Avoid fried foods like namkeen, farsan, chips.(limit once a month)
- Exercise: 30- 45 mins of brisk walking per day OR 30 mins High intensity exercise.
- Combination of Diet plus Exercise really works well together.