Its so much confusion this days with so many food choices available whether to buy organic or natural. The government does not regulate the use of the word natural on products, except for poultry and other meats. but for those who want to limit their exposure to and consumption of artificial substances, organic is best, but natural foods are a healthy step in the right direction.Carefully read the labels of products identified as “natural” to search for any artificial ingredients or excessive processing.
While “natural” refers mainly to the finished product, “organic” refers to not only the food but also to how it was produced.
- ORGANIC Crops must be grown without synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes, petroleum-based fertilizers or sewage sludge-based fertilizers.
- Organic livestock must be given organic feed, have access to the outdoors and be raised free of antibiotics and growth hormones.
So points we can look for when its organic-
- NON GMO
- USDA regulated
NO pesticides,hormones,or antibiotics used.
NATURAL-The natural and simple means-
- No artificial ingredients ,it should be planned derived substances
- Less or minimally processed
- free of artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors and additives like hydrogenated oils, stabilizers and emulsifiers.
MY NATURAL LIST- Breads, cheese,crackers,chips,maple syrup,tomato sauce etc
I don’t believe in buying everything organic but natural products for sure, organic is expensive and sometimes not needed but keep it simple by following below dirty dozen list.
I follow dirty dozen list for fruits and veggies, given by environmental working group-
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Grapes (Imported)
Be smart -think even organic produce that is not in season and has been shipped thousands of miles to reach our grocery shelves cannot be compared to the produce which is fresh ,natural ,seasonal and local.