Ingredients( indian style healthy khichdi)
- 1 Cup steel Cut Oats
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp chilli paste
- 1/2 cup choice of vegetables( i like peas and carrot)
- 1 cup Moong dhal(yellow split lentil/dal)
- 4 tsp Organic Ghee( organic clarified unsalted butter)
- 1 tsp Zeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 tsp black pepper pd
- 1/2 tsp curry pd( garam masala)
- 5-10 Curry leaves(optional)
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Take pressure cooker( if you want to cook fast) or pan. Put it on a medium heat add four teaspoons of organic ghee. Season the ghee with cumin seeds, fresh curry leaves. Let it splutter. Add oats and saute for a min
- Add washed moong dhal(lentils), choice of vegetables to the seasoning (tadka) ,add 1 tsp pepper pd,garam masala(curry pd) and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger green chilli paste , water, salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles.(if cooking in a pan let it cook at a low flame put the lid on it)
- Turn off gas and once cooled add lemon juice and fresh cilantro
- Enjoy the healthy and tasty oats khichdi.
- Steel-cut oats are full of nutritional value and are high in B-Vitamins, calcium, protein, and fiber, while low in salt and unsaturated fat.
- Steel-cut oats have a lower glycemic index than instant oatmeal (42 versus 66, respectively)
- Steel cut oats contain a special kind of fiber called beta-glucan. This fiber is a considered lately very powerful for lowering blood sugar levels AND cholesterol levels.
*Always make sure to monitor your blood sugar to see how oatmeal affects you individually. Each patient with diabetes is different.